COPYRIGHT

All rights reserved. No part of this personal blog may be reproduced or reprinted the information especially the photographs by any means including computer printing, e-mail, personal website etc. without prior permission of the copyright owner, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a critical article or review.

May 22, 2010

THIS IS THE STORY OF MY GAY, GAY LIFE

I experienced culture shock from the province to city life.  The environment was quite different and the people's lifestyle too.  I continued to hide myself, the real me but it was so obvious.  I was bullied in school- mostly my boy classmates and even my freshman adviser.  I don't want to go into details.  For 4 years in high school, I never enter the male restroom.

I was more close with girls until college.  When I thought about it, friends, that's what girls were to me really.  They were caring and nurturing- qualities I wanted to develop in myself.  I used to like girls who fit the mother image.  They've since become like sisters to me.

I graduated in college and got my first job for only 22 days.  Then, I transferred in another company permanently and that's my job until now. That's the time also I accepted what I am and admitted it before Rustom Padilla and Ricky Martin did.  I explored the gay world and the "No Matter What" of Boyzone is ever my favorite song. I was just continuing to be myself.  I didn't start yo dress differently or make an effort to flaunt my new-found self.  being gay wasn't a role I had to take on, so why should i change costumes or put on a show?  Salamat na alng hindi ako natuluyan to be a parlor gay.  But even, still I can't judge those who are.  They're still gays, like me, and they're just as human as you and me.  it's not their obligation to change who they are.  It's society's obligation to change the way we view them.  Somehow, open-minded na ang mga tao ngayon.  Somehow, they accepted, appreciate and even admired gays at last.

Back then, I went home proud being who I am.  There was no big dramatic scene with my family wherein I sat them all down for my big confession.  I didn't feel the need to tell them I was gay  after all.  I didn't need to hear them say they accepted me.  Do i need them to tell me, they're straight?  of course not.  Being straight or gay doesn't define you as a person.  it's not what you are, it's what you do.  I didn't change or did anything bad in their eyes, so the way they treated me didn't change either.  I saw more respect and feel the understanding instead.  May power na kasi ako.  May pinatunayan...  But mom always reminds me, "Huwag ka palagi makipag-close sa bakla."  Ang biro ko namang sagot, "Eh, bakla ako."  pero when it comes to my brothers, tahimik lang ako.  Ayoko ko humantong sa away at mabugbog ako at masabunutan ko sila.  Joke lang.  May isang tao nga biniro ako, "Kukuha tayo ng pokpok para makatikim ka naman."Ang sagot ko naman,"Natikman ko na pareho.  Kaw ba nakatikim na ng lalaki?"  That's so gay or bakla!  In a perfect world, it would be a compliment, not a put down.  We would be considered normal.  Right now, we've conditioned ourselves to be proud of our difference, to think of it as being special.

I used to think homosexuality developed because of one's environment and one's influences while growing up, but now I believe people are born homosexual.  But if I were born again, I don't want to be a gay nor my son.  It's not that I hate myself gay and I hate gay people but I don't want to experience again and my so will struggle the same way i experienced.  it's happy to be gay but it's more happy to have a normal feeling.


P.S.  I came out in a reality being gay because I realized it's hard to fool other people, to fool girls and most of all, to fool myself.  As a compliment, hindi nga normal pero masaya keysa you are pretending the rest of your life.

Blogger Templates

12 comments:

Reena said...

agree ako. :) and tama nga naman. gays don't ask straight people if they're straight.

Natawa ako dito --> "Natikman ko na pareho. Kaw ba nakatikim na ng lalaki?" haha. ano reaction niya? :D

keep it up red! it's best to be yourself tlga.

Four-eyed-missy said...

Kudos for coming out of the closet. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you. All the more, nagtaas akon admiration sa imo courage and honesty. Not many people can do that.
And I'm not the kind of person who'll drop a friend just because of sexual orientation. Suportahan ta pa ka, emotionally... indi na financially kay kayang-kaya mo naman hihihi :)
Love you, Red!

nuts said...

hay anuveh, basta walang pagkakaiba, period!! haha.. char.

RedLan said...

Reena: Lol. Hindi siya nakasagot, nagblush.nasapawan kasi.

RedLan said...

ZJ: Nagpakatotoo lang naman noong natanggap ko na sarili ko. Struggles gid ya sang una. Pati pamilya daw ginakuhuya ka. tuod-tuod na ya. Subong accepted na sang society. Honestly, my real friends like me that way.

RedLan said...

Nuts: lol. kaw na.

Anonymous said...

this is nice Kuya REd. :)


Some people may disrespect you but you shouldn't be weak. :)

kanya kanyang trip lang yan! hehhee

princess_dyanie said...

teh, di na kelangan sabihin na "lam mo tay, bakla ako". pakiramdaman nalang ang labanan ngayon. basta ang mahalaga kilala mo ang tunay mong pagkatao. no pretentions. :)

RedLan said...

BRY: Wala na effect sa akin ang disrespect na yan. Usually kasi yung gumagawa ay mga unprofessional. Open minded na 80% of the people. Tapos ang isa ko pang nadiscover ay yung mga gay-haters, may mga traumatic experience with gays kaya naintindihan ko naman.

RedLan said...

Dyanie: Tama MF. :-)

Antoine Greg Flores said...

maninay bonggaetan gd yah story of ur life... love the boyzone thing kay sa akun naman yah westlife. lolz.

anyways congratulations on ur 3rd anniversary of blogging today! and wow! ur new domain! palakpakan!

more power to ur life and blog... hope to hear more from you. God Bless! btw, wen kpa ma join sa Iloilo bloggers? hehhehe tara na, it's soo fun! =) promise di ka mag regret, hehe.

RedLan said...

AG Boi: Ijada, i love the westlife too. Thanks sa pagbati. bili ka rin ng domain name dali...

I love to join the iloilo team of bloggers pero sobrang busy ang sked ko. Kung tawhay na life ko i-contact ta ka syempre.