COPYRIGHT

All rights reserved. No part of this personal blog may be reproduced or reprinted the information especially the photographs by any means including computer printing, e-mail, personal website etc. without prior permission of the copyright owner, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a critical article or review.

June 24, 2010

WATER WELL

Water well is the source of drinking water particularly in the province.  It is an excavation or structure created in the ground by digging, driving, or drilling to access ground water in underground aquifers. 

It can be drawn up using containers such as bucket that are raised by hand.  It can vary greatly in depth, water volume and water quality.  It can be lined with laid stones or brick; extending this lining into a wall around the well presumably served to reduce both contamination and injuries by falling into the well.  A more modern method called caissoning uses reinforced concrete or plain concrete or plain concrete pre-cast well rings that are lowered into the hole.





Hand dug well is cheap and low tech as it use mostly hand labor for construction.  It has low operational and maintenance costs.


This week's FSO photo theme is water, lakes and streams by Nicole Howard

Blogger Templates

15 comments:

nuts said...

parang bigla ako natakot sumilip. hihi.. ang lalim..:)

RedLan said...

nuts: May mumu sa balon. lol

Jama said...

My house next to my late grandma's house used to have a well, I saw how they dig and construct the well, I was around 6-7 years old then. I don't think there is any more well here in Singapore.

Cheryl said...

Our well was hand dug and lasted for years before groundwater contamination from the road run-off and landfill seepage.

I paid no attention to the digging of the new well. I'm wondering if it looks something like this.

Sarah Sullivan said...

Wow...that is facinating. We had well water when we lived in the woods a few years ago!! I love the shot down the well...wow!!!
Hugs, Sarah

GingerV said...

what a great idea. When I was a child - a long, long LONG time ago we had a well that supplied our water (in cottonewood arizona) but it had a little house that covered it and an electric pump which never quit working in all the time we lived there.... thanks for helping bring back my memories of the water well.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Does it have a cover so no child or animal will fall in?

Do you have a lot of rivers?

Pauline said...

I love the photo of the water at the bottom of the well. A windmill pumped the water from the well on my grandparents farm when I was a child in australia and that slow thunking of the windmill turning at night is one of my favourite memories. I remember the consternation when the well ran dry and we had to cut short our holiday at the farm because it was just too big a job to haul all the water we seemed to need up from the creek. Thanks for the memory!

Sara Diana said...

I like your "take" on this weeks theme, well done!

NanU said...

Nice well, and I really like the photo looking down.

spiritsoflena said...

That last photo is really cool the way it is reflecting.

Kim, USA said...

I hope the water is safe to be drinkable. Happy weekend!


FSO~The pond

Unknown said...

very informative post Redlan. great shots and shoot out!!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I really like the reflection of the sky in the water. Very cool.

nuts said...

pwede to sa nostalgia meme ko..haha